The easy access to pornographic materials today has created an epidemic in our society. Present in print media, television, on billboards, in movies and live entertainment, it does not respect marital status, gender, age and financial situation. What is the real score with this “small” addiction and how does one become free from it?
Looking at sexually explicit or suggestive pictures or entertainment may seem innocent to some. However, pornography destroys our capacity to have healthy relationships. It degrades our self-worth and creates constant guilt in our hearts. It can lead to more serious intimacy problems such as adultery, molestation, rape, violence and even murder.
If you are one of those plagued by this seemingly harmless addiction, you have to understand the ramifications of what you are getting yourself into. God has clearly indicated that it is a sin to look lustfully at a woman (Matt. 4:27-29) and cautions us about visual enticement (Prov. 6:25-27). As children of God, our body is meant to be the temple of the Holy Spirit and this must be holy in the sight of God. This includes our eyes and our desires.
For whatever reason you may have for indulging in this addiction, from early to constant exposure to suggestive materials at home or at work, sexual abuse in the past, or even curiosity, it is possible to have freedom (Romans 6:18). The first step is to acknowledge that you have a problem. Repent from this sinful practice and replace it with Christian disciplines such as prayer, reading the Bible, fellowship with Christians, and worshiping God. A Godly and mature accountability partner can help you resist temptation. If you truly seek to change, your life can be transformed and you can lead a holy life.
- Admit that what you are doing is wrong. Seek God’s forgiveness and healing as well as strength to fight against temptation
- Identify and avoid causes or circumstances that could lead you back to pornography. Take drastic measure, such as cutting internet use, avoiding places of temptation, etc.
- Prayerfully seek the root of your addiction and ask God to heal you in this aspect of your life.
- Avoid having an idle time. Instead, spend time with God daily and arrange your life that makes you focused on good things. Fill your heart and mind with everything that is godly.
- Seek an accountability partner who can check, remind and confront you regularly.
- Not Even a Hint by Joshua Harris
- Passion and Purity by Elisabeth Elliot
- The Way of Purity: Enjoy Lasting Freedom in Christ by Mike Cleveland
- The Purity Principle: God’s Guardrails on Life’s Dangerous Roads by Randy Alcorn
- Purity Challenge: Training Youth in the Battle for Purity by Mike Cleveland
- When Young Men are Tempted : Sexual Purity for Guys in the Real World by William Perkins and Randy Southern
- Think Before You Look! 40 Powerful Reasons to Avoid Pornography by Daniel Henderson
- Conquering Pornography: Overcoming the Addiction by Dennis Frederick
- Closing the Window: Steps to Living Porn Free by Tim Chester
- Blazing Grace : www.blazinggrace.org
- Love in Action: www.loveinaction.org
- Pro-Life Phils Foundation on pornography: http://prolife.org.ph/home/index.php/anti-life-issues/pornography
- Report on Philippine Pornography : http://www.teenfad.ph/beintheknow_content.php?id=69
- Many Philippine TV shows have strong sexual content and suggestive themes.
- The Anti-Child Pornography Act was signed in 2009.
- Although there are no precise data on the production and commerce of pornography in the Philippines, there is no doubt about its widespread distribution and availability.