For the new believer, a returnee to the faith, or a long-time follower of Christ, the challenge is the same: to live out a Christian life. But what does it mean to live a life pleasing to a Holy God? Is it even possible? How does one accomplish this?
God desires us to be holy as He is holy (Lev. 20:7). This is a daunting task for we are surrounded with temptations. The sin that is inherent in our nature pulls us down. The great news is that a person who has accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior is a new creation (2 Cor. 5:17)! As such, we now have the confidence that we are new in Christ and we can be victorious in our Christian walk because the Holy Spirit constantly guides us.
It is possible to live a life pleasing to God. Our relationship with Him should be consistent in every aspect of our lives, be it with our family and friends, among our church mates and acquaintances, and in connection to our work, business deals, hobbies and interests. We have to be firm in choosing how we should act, speak, think and relate to others because we are commanded not to conform to the ways of the world (Romans 12:2). This will be easier as we pursue various spiritual disciplines: Bible reading, praying, fasting, worship, etc. A close relationship with the Holy Spirit will provide our conscience with a sensitivity to do the right things.
If you consistently seek God, your lifestyle will change. It may not be automatic and there will be times that you will fall. Remember though that we have the confidence that God will finish the good work that He has done in our lives (Phil. 1:6). The best way to pursue a Christian life? Put into action 1 Cor. 10: 31, that is, whatever you do, do it for the glory of God.
- Cultivate various spiritual disciplines in your life, such as Bible reading and study, prayer and fasting, worship and celebration, confession, evangelism, etc.
- Ask God to change your mindset and to give you new desires that are pleasing to Him.
- Find a person or a group who can be your accountability partners. They can help you be steadfast in your faith and every day walk.
- Seek mentors. You can gain insights from what they have experienced in the past.
- Refrain from going back to old habits and replace them with new ones that would glorify God.
- Studies in Christian Growth by Dr. Eli Javier
- Practical Christian Living by Bertram Lim
- 100 Questions on the Christian Life compiled by OMF lit
- Assemblies of God Philippines: www.pgcag.wordpress.com
- ICI Ministries Philippines : www.iciphilippines.org
- Book of Hope : www.onehope.net
- Christian Radio Philippines : http://dzas.febc.ph/
- How to Live the Way God Wants by William GIrao
- Life to the Max by John Ortberg
- According to the 2000 statistics on NSCB, the Philippines population is 81% Catholics, 5% Muslims and 2.8% Evangelicals.
- The Philippines is the only Christian nation in Asia.
- According to the Philippine National Police, crime rate was up by 63% in 2009. (ABS CBN news)
- In May 2010, two new Bibles translations to Cebuano and Tagalog were launched to reach 38 million Filipinos. (Christian Wire News).